Emerson College also offers the Harvard Pilgrim High Deductible PPO Health Plan (HDHP). This plan is designed to provide comprehensive coverage with in-network and out-of-network benefits. This plan has higher deductibles ($1,500 for individual coverage and $3,000 for family coverage), and higher out of pocket maximums that the other plans offered (HMO or PPO), but the premiums/deductions from your paychecks are significantly less than the PPO plan, and just slightly higher than the HMO plan.
To help offset the cost of higher plan deductibles, the College provides funding through a Health Savings Account (HSA). For 2019 the College contribution towards this fund will be $750 for an employee enrolled with individual coverage; and $1500 for an employee enrolled with family coverage (if joining the plan later than January 1, the College contributions are pro-rated). Employees who participate in the HSA plan may also make additional contributions to the HSA on a pre-tax basis.
Funds in the HSA can be used to pay for eligible medical, dental and vision expenses, and long-term care insurance premiums. The annual maximum contributions to the HSA account for 2019 (including the employer contributions) are $3500 for employees with individual medical coverage; and $7000 for employees with family medical coverage. An additional $1000 can be contributed by employees age 55+.
Participants in the High Deductible PPO Health Plan may also participate in a Limited Purpose FSA plan. These accounts may by used for dental and vision expenses. After meeting the deductible in health plan, they may also be used for medical expenses. The maximum annual contribution to these plans in 2019 is $2700.
Additional Information concerning the High Deductible PPO Plan:
- HP High Deductible PPO Presentation
- How it Works - High Deductible PPO Health Plan
- Harvard Pilgrim High Deductible PPO Health Plan Schedule of Benefits
- Harvard Pilgrim High Deductible PPO Summary of Benefits Coverage
- Brainshark Video Overview: High Deductible PPO Health Plan (HDHP)
Additional Information regarding the HSA and Limited FSA Accounts:
- Health Savings Account (HSA) Q&A
- WageWorks HSA Presentation
- Limited Purpose FSA Plan Information
- Brainshark Video Overview: HSA Contributions
- Brainshark Video Overview: HSA Distributions
- How To Complete the HSA Application - BNY Mellon
Additional Harvard Pilgrim Forms and Program Information:
- Member Savings & Discounts
- Harvard Pilgrim Reimbursement Program for Fitness Centers and Fitness Programs
- Harvard Pilgrim Weight Management Reimbursement Form
- Harvard Pilgrim Doctor on Demand Program
- Harvard Pilgrim Transparency Tool
On Harvard Pilgrim’s website, you can create an account where you can access detailed information about your plan. Included is information on your claims activity, a deductible tracker, a benefits summary, and an option to order ID cards.