Why Set Goals
Setting goals gives you longer-term vision and short-term motivation. It focuses your acquisition of knowledge and helps you organize your time and your resources so that you can be efficient and productive. By setting clearly defined goals, you can measure and take pride in the achievement of those goals. Additionally, goal setting helps you and your manager be on the same page as to what is expected, what is to be achieved, and what the milestones along the path will be.
How to Set Goals
If you were to google "goal setting", approximately 1,290,000,000 results will be available to you. We know you don't have time to go through all of those results. Here are a few items to help you get started with goal setting:
- 2021 Goal Setting Document - save to your own Google Drive and make edits directly in the document
- Emerson's Strategic Goals - How does your job and goals map to the Strategic Plan of the College? Save a copy of this document to your own Google Drive and make edits directly in the document.
- "Successful Goal Setting" - 20 min LinkedIn Learning course. Sign in with your Emerson credentials to access this free training course.
- "Golden Rules of Goal Setting" - 10 min article read
- "What is Goal Setting and How to Do it Well" - longer article, but we particularly like the Key Principles of Goal Setting and 3 Helpful Categories for Setting Health Goals sections.