Performance Conversations are four-question conversations between an employee and their manager. We’re asking you to discuss these four questions at least quarterly. You will be able to log notes in Workday so that you can remember what’s discussed and track your progress over time!
You and your manager will get into your own flow on these conversations and we encourage you to do that. The goal is increased alignment between you as an employee and your supervisor. These conversations should not replace any ongoing meetings you currently have to discuss priorities, areas of improvement, etc. but can improve and enhance those conversations.
Here is the progress I’m making toward our objectives...
My upcoming key priorities are...
Here is where I need your support...
Here is where I’d like to focus my professional development...
- Plan with your manager about how and when you’ll have these conversations.
- Discuss if you will be entering your notes into Workday prior to the conversation or after. It is up to you as long as both parties enter their notes.
- Please note: managers cannot enter notes into Workday until their employees do their part. This puts ownership on both the employee and the manager to ensure this process is completed.
Both staff and managers have a role in the performance conversation in Workday.
Staff employees will receive a task in their inbox to complete their Self Evaluation.
Click Get Started.
You will see the questions you need to answer. Click on the Answer or Pencil icon to type your responses. All questions need to be answered in order for you to submit. Please note: your manager cannot enter notes into Workday until you have done your part.
Click submit once you have answered all of the questions.
Managers will receive the Complete Manager evaluation step once their employee submits their Performance Check-In. Please note: Managers cannot enter their comments until the employee has completed their step.
Managers will make comments on each of the questions their employee has answered. Managers will see their employees’ answers side by side with their responses for ease of use. Managers cannot click into the Employee Evaluation section and change any responses.
Once the manager is ready, they can review and submit their responses. All questions must be answered in order to submit.
Employees can view completed Performance Conversations. The most recent will be at top of the list. From the Workday home page, click on your profile. Select Performance from the left menu.
Managers can see past conversations for their employees as well. From the Workday home page, enter the employee's name into the search bar. Click on their profile and select Performance from the left menu.
Edit or Update
An open Performance Conversation can be updated. "Open" means the manager has not yet submitted their comments. The manager has the ability to send the performance conversation back to the employee to make edits. An employee does not have the ability to make edits until the manager sends it back.
A closed Performance Conversation cannot be updated by either the manager or the employee. Closed means all of the steps have been completed.
- Log into Workday Search for and open your employee’s profile
- Click on the “Performance” section on the left side of the profile
- Select the desired Performance Conversation link
- In that conversation, click the Performance Conversation step under “My Actions” → Awaiting Me”
- Select the “Send Back” button
- Enter brief text in the “Reason” box, and then click “Submit”
- It will then appear in the employee’s inbox to edit and resubmit.