Qualifying Event - Benefit Changes

The Internal Revenue Service defines the events that allow you to make changes to your pretax benefit elections (medical, dental, flexible spending accounts) outside of Annual Open Enrollment. You can make benefit changes during the year only if you have a qualified change in family status (qualifying event). (See list of qualifying events at the bottom of this page).  Benefit changes must be consistent with the qualifying event. Benefit Changes related to Qualifying Events (Life Events) are made via Workday. The benefit request on Workday must be made within 30 days of the qualifying event date. If it is past 30 days from the event date, you must wait until the next Open Enrollment period to make any changes. Note that the effective date of any related benefits change is the date of the qualifying event.

Steps to Take to Make Benefit Changes

1. Gather documentation needed related to the event (see list below for details). Scan documentation. Make sure that the document is in a pdf format.

2. Within 30 days of the event date, go to Workday and select Menu (top left corner of page); then Benefits>Change Benefits.

3. On the "Change Benefits" screen, check the particular Life Event (marriage, birth, gain/loss of coverage, etc.). Provide the effective date of the event (this must match the event date provided on the documentation provided), and upload the related documentation - then press "submit."

4. The submitted request will be routed to Human Resources for approval (to ensure documentation is complete and dates match).

5. Once approved by Human Resources, you will receive a new Workday notification and a benefits event in your Workday inbox. When you click on the event, it will open the benefits enrollment screens for you. (If you are adding a new dependent to cover, see Directions for Adding Dependents)

6. Once you've completed your benefit changes, make sure you submit your benefits enrollment and print a copy for reference.

Coverage changes will be made effective (often retroactively) to the date of the event. As a result, there may be additional payroll deductions/credits for the retroactive changes.

Required Documents

Listed below are qualifying events and the documents that you are required to submit for each event:

  • Marriage: copy of marriage certificate
  • Divorce / Legal Separation: copy of divorce agreement or legal separation
  • Birth of Child: copy of the birth certificate or hospital document provided in lieu of a birth certificate
  • Adoption of Child: copy of legal adoption agreement
  • Death of your spouse or dependent child: copy of death certificate
  • Gain or loss of coverage through another source: letter or form from employer documenting loss or gain of coverage; must include name(s) of individuals impacted including dependents; type of coverage gained or lost; and the effective date of start/end of the coverage
  • Gain or loss of eligibility of coverage for MassHealth or CHIP: letter from MassHealth or CHIP agency



Was this article helpful?
0 out of 1 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a ticket