Emerson College also offers the Harvard Pilgrim High Deductible PPO Health Plan (HDHP). This plan is designed to provide comprehensive coverage with in-network and out-of-network benefits. This plan has higher deductibles ($1,500 for individual coverage and $3,000 for family coverage), and higher out of pocket maximums than the other plans offered (HMO or PPO), but the premiums/deductions from your paychecks are significantly less than the PPO plan, and just slightly higher than the HMO plan.
To help offset the cost of higher plan deductibles, the College provides funding through a Health Savings Account (HSA). For 2023 the College contribution towards this fund will be $750 for an employee enrolled with individual coverage; and $1500 for an employee enrolled with family coverage (if joining the plan later than January 1, the College contributions are pro-rated). Employees who participate in the HSA plan may also make additional contributions to the HSA on a pre-tax basis.
Funds in the HSA can be used to pay for eligible medical, dental, and vision expenses, and long-term care insurance premiums.
For 2023, the annual maximum allowed contributions (including the employer contributions) are $3850 for individual coverage; $7750 for family coverage. This means that the maximum annual employee contributions (after subtracting the employer contributions) are $3100 for individual coverage and $6250 for family coverage. Employees age 55 and over can contribute an additional $1000 annually to these accounts ($4100 and $7250).
Participants in the High Deductible PPO Health Plan may also participate in a Limited Purpose FSA plan. These accounts may be used for dental and vision expenses. After meeting the deductible in the health plan, they may also be used for medical expenses. The maximum annual contribution to these plans in 2023 is $3050.
Please note: you can not be enrolled with a regular Healthcare FSA plan while enrolled with the High Deductible Medical Plan (and the accompanying HSA plan). If enrolled in an FSA prior to starting in the High Deductible plan, make sure to use up your Healthcare FSA money before your start date in the High Deductible plan. You will lose any remaining FSA money not refunded prior to your start in the High Deductible plan.
Also - note that contributions cannot be made to an HSA plan (by either employee or employer) if you are enrolled with Medicare; there you cannot enroll in the High Deductible Health Plan if you are already enrolled with Medicare. See this webpage for more information.
Additional Information concerning the High Deductible PPO Plan:
- How it Works - High Deductible PPO Health Plan
- 2023 High Deductible PPO Schedule of Benefits (detailed summary)
- 2023 High Deductible PPO Summary of Benefits Coverage
- 2023 High Deductible PPO Handbook
- 2022 High Deductible PPO Schedule of Benefits (detailed summary)
- 2022 High Deductible PPO Summary of Benefits Coverage
- Brainshark Video Overview: High Deductible PPO Health Plan (HDHP)
Please use the benefit summaries, schedule of benefits, or Harvard Pilgrim's website to find information on specific benefit coverage. This could include things such as chiropractor, acupuncture, therapy, counseling, etc.
Additional Information regarding the HSA and Limited FSA Accounts:
- Harness the Power of a Health Savings Account
- HSA Your Way: Spend, Save and Invest in Your Healthcare
- HSA: The New Retirement Strategy
- Limited Purpose FSA: Level Up Your Health Savings
Find In-Network providers in the PPO plan
1. Go to the Harvard Pilgrim home page (www.harvardpilgrim.org)
2. Select "Find a Provider" at the top right-hand side of the page
3. For Plan Type select "PPO." For Plan Category select "Standard Plans." Under Standard Plans, select "PPO".
4. The Provider Search tool allows you to search by name, or by a number of different criteria including by specialty, by location, hospital affiliations, gender, etc.
For employees living outside New England - see read HP PPO - Receiving Care Outside New England.
On Harvard Pilgrim’s website, you can create an account where you can access detailed information about your plan. Included is information on your claims activity, a deductible tracker, a benefits summary, and an option to order ID cards.
For more information about the High Deductible Plan, call Harvard Pilgrim at 1-866-874-0817.
For more information about the Health Savings Account (HSA), call Health Equity at 1-844-341-6998.