While you are learning the ins and outs of your job, be sure to take some time to connect with other community members.
Why Connection is Important
We spend a substantial portion of our week at work. Connection to the bigger purpose, to the organization, and to other people at work all have a positive impact on your job satisfaction and sense of belonging.
- Wellness: Having positive connections in the workplace reduces stress hormones and increases the neurotransmitters responsible for attention, feelings of pleasure and trust, and keeping fear and worry at bay.
- Productivity: Those who are happy at work are more engaged and therefore more productive.
- Innovation: Those who work in a collaborative and connected environment are more willing to contribute new and bold ideas that lead to better results.
Connecting with the Community
- Your HR Business Partner: assigned based on your VP division
Administration & Finance
Social Justice Center
Emerson Los Angeles
EC Police Department
Office of the Arts/Arts Emerson
- Staff/Faculty Resource Networks: employee-driven groups based on shared experiences seeking to build community
- EmCares: staff and faculty, parents, caregivers, and allies
- eQual: staff and faculty to identify as LGBTQ and allies
- Fusion: staff and faculty of color and allies
- Using Slack: Slack is a workplace chat room and instant messaging service. Individuals sign up using their Emerson credentials and can join any number of “channels” to exchange messages. Ask your manager/team if there is a channel for your department too! Some popular channels to join #staff, #emersonpets, #goodnewsdaily, and #workdayatemerson.
- Looking for someone?: You can use the Emerson Directory or look people up in Workday
- Tip: Using Workday to look someone up may include the person’s picture. Having a face to go with the name will help you remember who they are!
Ways to “Stay in the Know”
- “Emerson Lingo” - the vernacular and abbreviations can make a newbie’s head spin! Take a look at the community-created document with some of the most common “lingo” you may hear.
- Emerson Today is produced by the Department of Communications & Marketing. Subscribe to receive News, Announcements, and “In the Press” items delivered right to your email.
- Berkeley Beacon is the student-run college newspaper.
- Academic Calendar and Holiday Schedule: Make sure your Google calendar has important dates on it! Higher education can be very cyclical. Depending on your role, some of these dates may be more important than others.
- People @ Emerson: a staff blog published by the Office of Communication and Marketing